Taking care of your teeth is an important part of maintaining good overall health, but did you know that caring for your gum tissue is just as important? At Fountain Plaza Family Dental, we offer comprehensive periodontal therapy services to ensure your gum health remains top-notch! In periodontics, our focus is primarily on the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of periodontal disease—a condition responsible for the majority of tooth loss cases among adults. To learn more about periodontal care, we invite you to read below or contact our Elk Grove, CA office if you have any questions!
What Is Periodontal Disease?
As mentioned above, the primary focus of our periodontal therapy services is the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of periodontal disease. This condition is caused by a buildup of plaque and tartar along the gum line, which can lead to inflammation and destruction of the gum tissue. It’s also one of the most common diseases in adulthood and is often the cause of adult tooth loss.
Periodontal disease occurs in three separate stages and can affect people of any age. These stages are gingivitis, periodontitis, and advanced periodontitis.
- Gingivitis: Gingivitis is the earliest stage of periodontal disease, and it can usually be reversed fairly quickly with improved oral hygiene. This stage occurs when plaque accumulates along the gum line, leading to inflammation, gum bleeding, and redness.
- Periodontitis: If gingivitis is left untreated, it can lead to periodontitis, a more severe form of periodontal disease. At this stage, the gums will begin to separate from the teeth, creating pockets around the teeth where food and bacteria can become trapped. This can lead to infection, bone loss, and eventually tooth loss.
- Advanced Periodontitis: Advanced periodontitis is the most severe stage of the disease and can cause major structural damage to surrounding tissue. In this state, teeth may become loose, and supporting bone may be destroyed.
If we find that a patient has periodontal disease, we will formulate an ongoing treatment plan designed to prevent the progression of the disease and to help maintain overall gum health. This plan may include scaling and root planing, ultrasonic cleanings, antibiotics, or other forms of periodontal care. These appointments will occur every three to four months and will help ensure that the gum tissue remains healthy.
Ultrasonic cleaning is a type of periodontal treatment used to remove tough plaque and tartar buildup from the teeth and gum tissue. The tool is constructed as a standard scaler, but it also emits high-frequency vibrations and a powerful water stream to help dislodge plaque and tartar from below the gum line.
Compared to standard cleaning, ultrasonic cleaning is capable of breaking down and removing buildup much faster while easily and painlessly targeting the gum pockets.
Scaling & Root Planing
Scaling and root planing is a form of deep cleaning designed to help treat gum disease. This procedure involves using specialized tools to thoroughly remove plaque and tartar from both above and below the gum line. Removing this buildup helps to reduce gum inflammation and encourages reattachment between the gum tissue and tooth roots.
- The scaling portion of the procedure is designed to remove plaque and tartar above and below the gum line using a scaler.
- Root planing is performed to smooth out the root surface, which helps to close gum pockets and form a better adherence between the roots and gums.
At Fountain Plaza Family Dental Wallace J. Bellamy, DMD, we also offer laser therapy as a form of periodontal treatment. This therapy is fast, painless, and often requires no downtime or sedation.
- During the procedure, a specialized laser is used to target and remove bacteria from below the gum line while also promoting healthy tissue regeneration.
- Rather than performing a standard gum surgery to remove bacteria, laser therapy is much less invasive and helps to quickly reduce inflammation and speed up the healing process.
Crown lengthening is a periodontal procedure that involves removing excess gum tissue from around the teeth, creating a better balance between the teeth and gum tissue. This can be done for both cosmetic and health purposes.
- For example, if the gum tissue is excessive, this can make it harder to clean and increase a patient’s chances of developing gum disease.
- Additionally, this procedure can be used to create a more attractive smile if the gums are covering too much of the tooth.
At Fountain Plaza Family Dental Wallace J. Bellamy, DMD we provide comprehensive periodontal services and can design a personalized treatment plan to help keep your gums healthy. By taking proactive steps toward periodontal health, you can ensure that your teeth remain strong and healthy for years to come. Contact us today to learn more about your periodontal treatment options!